3 to 8 May 2022
Crypto Market Plunges Sharply Again
Abstract: The market continues its recent slump over the past week. The Fed raised its benchmark interest rate by 50 basis points, which was in line with market expectations, and is expected to gradually shrink its balance sheet to $95 billion per month over the next three months. UST (algorithmic stablecoin of the Terra ecosystem) has depegged with the US Dollar, setting a crash led by the exodus of giant whales on Anchor Protocol. The crypto fear and greed index fell to 11 (“extreme fear” territory).
- Total market value declined. The total market value of digital assets declined to around US$1.52 trillion last week. Bitcoin plummeted sharply, falling to its lowest level since July 2021 at around $30,000.
- Most of the top 100 cryptos fell. The prices of 93 out of the top 100 cryptos fell while only 7 posted gains.
- Exchanges registered modest changes in turnover. Last week, the total turnover on 10 exchanges tracked by our team dropped by 1.2%. Binance fell by 2.3%, whilst Bitfinex, Bitstamp and Coinbase recorded a change of +30.2%, +8.5% and -4.4% respectively.
- Turnover of futures increased. Turnover of Bitcoin futures increased by 0.4%, while turnover of Ethereum futures increased by 10%.
- Turnover on DEXes increased to around US$23 billion. Weekly turnover on DEXes increased by 35% as compared to last week.
- Turnover on OpenSea decreased to around US$1.27 billion. Turnover on OpenSea decreased by 30% as compared to last week.
- The market continues its descent, as the total market value of digital assets dropped to around US$1.52 trillion at the time of writing. In terms of market turnover, spot turnover decreased by approximately 5%, while turnover of Bitcoin futures and Ethereum futures increased by 0.4% and 10% respectively. The Fed raised its benchmark interest rate by 50 basis points; this marked the Fed’s first significant 50 basis point rate increase since 2000. The Fed is expected to start shrinking its central bank balance sheet to $95 billion per month over the three months. Fed Chairman Jerome Powell was relatively dovish, saying that a 75 basis point rate hike was not worth considering and that a 50 basis point hike could be imposed over the next few meetings. In crypto-land, Polkadot officially launched its inter-chain messaging format XCM, which can already be used for communication between parachains. The Terra eco-stablecoin UST decoupled from the US Dollar, once falling below 0.7, and the price of LUNA tumbled to around $30 at the time of writing. Panic sentiments were further intensified by a mass exodus of giant whales on Anchor Protocol causing a series of chain reactions. Mainstream altcoins performed relatively weak, as the Fear and Greed Index reached 11; the market is expected to hover at a low level under macro environment factors over the coming weeks.
Digital Currency Market Capitalization Change:
Source: HashKey Capital Research, Coin360
Bitcoin Futures Daily Trading Volume:
Source: HashKey Capital Research, The Block
- The information contained in this document has been compiled by HashKey Group (as defined below) from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or warranty express or implied is made by HashKey Group, its affiliates or any other person as to its fairness, reasonableness, reliability, accuracy, completeness or correctness. All illustrations, examples or forward-looking information (if any) contained in this document have been provided in good faith for illustrative purposes only as of the date of this document, and are not intended to serve as, and must not be relied upon as, a guarantee, an assurance, a prediction or a definitive statement of fact or probability. Whilst efforts are made to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information contained in this document at the time of publication, errors or omissions may occur. Past performance is not a guide to future performance, future returns are not guaranteed, and a loss of original capital may occur. HashKey Group reserves the right to correct any errors or omissions, and to change or update information at any time without prior notice.
- Each legal jurisdiction has its own laws regulating the types of investments and/or services which may be offered to its residents and/or in its jurisdiction, as well as the process for doing so. As a result, certain investment products or services discussed in this document may not be eligible for sale or offered in some jurisdictions. This document is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to purchase any investments or services. Unless otherwise specified, HashKey Group does not hold itself out to be licensed to carry on regulated activities in any jurisdiction. Additionally, providing this material is not, and under no circumstances should be construed to act as a regulated business in any jurisdiction by any person or company that is not legally permitted to carry on such regulated business in that jurisdiction.
- Nothing in this document constitutes legal, accounting, or tax advice, and you are advised to seek independent legal, tax and accounting advice prior to acting upon anything contained in this document. The contents of this material have not been reviewed by any regulatory authority. Investors are advised to exercise caution in relation to any investments or services in relation to this document. If you are in doubt about any of the contents of this material, you should obtain independent professional advice.
- To the full extent permitted by law, neither HashKey Group nor any of its affiliates accepts any liability whatsoever for any direct or consequential loss arising from any use of this document or the information contained herein. No information contained in this document may be reproduced or copied by any means without the prior written consent of HashKey Group.
- “HashKey Group” is a brand name to describe any one or more entities of the group companies composed of HashKey Digital Asset Group Limited and its Affiliates.
Don't miss out
Subscribe now to receive notifications of our articles and newsletters: