Market Performance Comes in Average
Abstract: The Federal Reserve released minutes of its January Meeting, with no new changes to the January resolution. In addition, the Russia-Ukraine military conflict has also hit the crypto market. It is expected that the market will continue to be volatile in the context of tightening macroeconomic environment. The investment opportunities in sub-sectors for instance Layer 2, however, should not be ruled out.
- Total market value declined. Last week, the total market value of digital assets declined to around US$1.8 trillion. Bitcoin fell around 15% to below US$40,000.
- Most of the top 100 digital assets fell. Last week, among the top 100 digital assets, 7 staged growth, while 93 witnessed decline.
- Exchanges showed a decline in turnover. Last week, turnover on the 10 exchanges tracked by us decreased by 22.4%. Binance moved down by -24.7%. Bitfinex, Bitstamp and Coinbase recorded a decrease of -9.8%, -4.7% and -16.3%, respectively
- Turnover of futures declined. Last week, turnover of Bitcoin futures market declined by 22%, with close position down to around US$0.02 trillion. Turnover of Ethereum futures market was down by 12%, with open position dropped to US$0.007 trillion.
- Turnover of Dex maintained at US$0.02 trillion. The decrease in weekly turnover of Dex posted modest changes as compared to last week.
- Turnover of Opensea decreased to US$0.0007 trillion. Turnover of Opensea decreased to US$0.0007 trillion, down by 35% as compared to last week.
- The overall market showed weakness. Market value of cryptocurrencies went down to approximately US$1.8 trillion last week. Bitcoin dropped by 15% to below US$40,000. Spot turnover declined by approximately 18% as compared to last week and turnover of Bitcoin futures decreased by 22% while turnover of Ethereum futures fell by 12% and all open positions recorded reduction. The Federal Reserve released minutes of its January Meeting, with no new changes to the January resolution. Bitcoins revealed attributes of risk assets under Russia-Ukraine military tension. In the sub-sector, Opensea suffered a phishing attack last week and turnover of NFT plummeted by above 30% as compared to last week, witnessing a downtrend momentum. It is expected that the downward pressure remains relatively high in the context of tightening macroeconomic environment. The investment opportunities in sub-sectors for instance Layer 2, however, should not be ruled out.
Digital Currency Market Capitalization Change:
Source: HashKey Capital Research, Coin360
Bitcoin Futures Daily Trading Volume:
Source: HashKey Capital Research, The Block
- The information contained in this document has been compiled by HashKey Group (as defined below) from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or warranty express or implied is made by HashKey Group, its affiliates or any other person as to its fairness, reasonableness, reliability, accuracy, completeness or correctness. All illustrations, examples or forward-looking information (if any) contained in this document have been provided in good faith for illustrative purposes only as of the date of this document, and are not intended to serve as, and must not be relied upon as, a guarantee, an assurance, a prediction or a definitive statement of fact or probability. Whilst efforts are made to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information contained in this document at the time of publication, errors or omissions may occur. Past performance is not a guide to future performance, future returns are not guaranteed, and a loss of original capital may occur. HashKey Group reserves the right to correct any errors or omissions, and to change or update information at any time without prior notice.
- Each legal jurisdiction has its own laws regulating the types of investments and/or services which may be offered to its residents and/or in its jurisdiction, as well as the process for doing so. As a result, certain investment products or services discussed in this document may not be eligible for sale or offered in some jurisdictions. This document is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to purchase any investments or services. Unless otherwise specified, HashKey Group does not hold itself out to be licensed to carry on regulated activities in any jurisdiction. Additionally, providing this material is not, and under no circumstances should be construed to act as a regulated business in any jurisdiction by any person or company that is not legally permitted to carry on such regulated business in that jurisdiction.
- Nothing in this document constitutes legal, accounting, or tax advice, and you are advised to seek independent legal, tax and accounting advice prior to acting upon anything contained in this document. The contents of this material have not been reviewed by any regulatory authority. Investors are advised to exercise caution in relation to any investments or services in relation to this document. If you are in doubt about any of the contents of this material, you should obtain independent professional advice.
- To the full extent permitted by law, neither HashKey Group nor any of its affiliates accepts any liability whatsoever for any direct or consequential loss arising from any use of this document or the information contained herein. No information contained in this document may be reproduced or copied by any means without the prior written consent of HashKey Group.
- “HashKey Group” is a brand name to describe any one or more entities of the group companies composed of HashKey Digital Asset Group Limited and its Affiliates.